Vespa Goes For (Black and) Gold

Layan Al-Khaled, News Editor

South’s very own 2022 yearbook, “Made You Look”, by Vespa was recently awarded an All-American rating from the National Scholastic Press Association (NSPA).

Every year, Vespa submits South’s yearbook to the National Scholastic Press Association, based in Minneapolis, along with other scholastic press associations, where the publication is critiqued by an out-of-state judge on the writing, photography, and design. 

The All-American rating is the highest score a publication can earn, marking “Made You Look” as one of the most elite yearbooks in the country.

The 272 page publication was led by Editors-in-Chief Sarah Govostis, currently a freshman at Purdue University, Jillian Marquart, currently at University of Missouri, and Mia Yen, currently at Northwestern, along with the current members of the Vespa team.

“We had a lot of new people and new positions, so there really was a lack of experience against us.” Said Senior Ellen Mulgrew, Editor-in-Chief alongside Senior Aseel Jarad, “but for us, I think a lot of our success came from collaborative work. We had a lot of great minds last year and it was a lot easier for us to problem solve and word-smith our heads with the creative minds last year. ”

This year, Vespa takes on the 2023 yearbook head-on, organized with a greater number of staffers and passionate editors, who are striving to publish a memorable yearbook.

“I want to create something that’s special to our school.” Mulgrew said, “I want our South pride to be memorialized in this book and to capture that. This is who we are. This is 2023. This is our seniors going out and our freshmen going in. I want it to be something that you can look back at and be proud of for being a part of that.”