Student News Site of Hinsdale South High School

Stinger

Stinger

Stinger

Art by Morgan James
The Ethics of A.I.
Morgan James, Staff Writer • May 10, 2024
Art by Alyssa Pendon and Rohan Joshi
What's with Recent Campus Protests?
Alyssa Pendon, Staff Writer • May 9, 2024
Principal, Dr. Hardy, states possible solutions and drafts that are already being put in place to the board. Also stating that many of the missing documents previously stated by board members, to in fact sent to them months ago.
A Visual Recap of the Board Meeting.
Elias Varesis, Staff Writer • May 8, 2024

Humanitarian Crisis in Haiti

Throughout the 21st century Haiti, a small island country within the Caribbean, has been the centerpoint for disaster, poverty, and violence within North America. As this situation develops, the worse it becomes for Haitians as they are subject to brutalization by gangs within local communities. These gangs are under a federation by the name “G9” led by former police officer Jimmy “Barbecue” Cherizer. This is the largest gang in the country and is situated in the capital, Port-Au-Prince. Cherizer has targeted and attacked key infrastructure such as airports and shipping ports. As the widely regarded unpopular President, Ariel Henry, has stepped down amidst the violence, the state has turned into anarchy with many analysts calling it a “North American Somalia.” This situation has shocked the international community and has affected many families throughout North America. 

International Aid organizations such as the UNHCR, Oxfam Int., and Amnesty International have been actively involved in aiding the country, but with the gang organizations taking control of the ports and airports, there will be no aid delivered until intervention by the United Nations or government stabilization. As of now, the United Nations Security Council has been preparing for a new humanitarian mission in order to provide humanitarian aid and economic stabilization. 

With this development in mind, the United States’ influence on the crisis has come into question. Many people have become skeptical of the American government’s involvement. Rayyan Qureshi a leader of the global humanitarian club at Hinsdale South stated, “the United States is partially to blame for the crisis due to the American backed coup in 2004.”