Student News Site of Hinsdale South High School

Stinger

Stinger

Stinger

Kung Fu Panda 4
Kung Fu Panda 4
Miley Zhang, Staff Writer • April 18, 2024
The Hype About Water Bottles
The Hype About Water Bottles
Alyssa Pendon, Ally Tagudar • April 18, 2024
The bright orange design of a pickleball racket pops out on a court, supported by a traditional tennis racket.
A Real Pickle of a Debate
Jeremy Fung, Staff Writer • April 8, 2024

New Sports Added to the 2028 LA Olympic Games

Audrey Atkinson
Football, Baseball, Softball, and Lacrosse Stick – Equipment of 4 of the 6 added sports

The 2028 Summer Olympics hosted by Los Angeles will include six additional sports. The International Olympic Committee executive board has accepted them in order to increase the amount of competitions present in the games, giving the Los Angeles Games a uniqueness, and displaying American sports on an international level. 

Baseball has been previously officially a part of the Olympics from 1992 until 2008, when it was dropped as there was an absence of quality athletes. Moreover the MLB was unwilling to alter its season schedule. Now, the Olympic Committee, believing that baseball will engage more Americans, have reinstated the sport.

As an acknowledgement of Flag Football’s tremendous international growth, the sport has been added to the LA games as well. The NFL has been working with the Player’s Union in hopes that former and current players will be able to participate. Many current NFL players such as Tyrek Hill and more have expressed interest in taking part on team USA.

First imagined as indoor baseball, Softball, created in 1887, was introduced into the Olympics as a metal event in 1996 but removed in 2008. However, it has officially been added once again to the 2028 games.

The game of Cricket has only been previously played during the 1900 summer Olympics with only two teams participating. One-hundred and twenty eight years later, the number one sport in India, has been approved.

The International Olympic Committee accepted the inclusion of Lacrosse for the Los Angeles Games after only being played as a demonstration sport. With the news of the sport joining the Olympics, World Lacrosse has launched A New Era campaign to propel the sport’s popularity for new generations.

Despite previous failed applications to join the Olympics, Squash, a four walled racket sport, has finally been incorporated. Differing from racquetball in rules, equipment and style, the demand for the sport has persuaded the IOC to officially be one of the six added sports to the 2028 Los Angeles Summer Olympics.