Student News Site of Hinsdale South High School

Stinger

Stinger

Stinger

Kung Fu Panda 4
Kung Fu Panda 4
Miley Zhang, Staff Writer • April 18, 2024
The Hype About Water Bottles
The Hype About Water Bottles
Alyssa Pendon, Ally Tagudar • April 18, 2024
The bright orange design of a pickleball racket pops out on a court, supported by a traditional tennis racket.
A Real Pickle of a Debate
Jeremy Fung, Staff Writer • April 8, 2024

Girls Basketball Team Makes School History!

Anonymous
    The Lady Hornets at the Illinois State University’s CEFCU Arena

This year, Hinsdale South’s Girls Varsity Basketball Team forever made history! Not only did they make it to super sectionals for the first time since 1976-1977, but they were the fourth best team in the entire state! This amazing group of athletes  were our school’s first to ever make it that far.

They were able to make it this far due to their victorious win against Marian Catholic High School at Super Sectionals. On February 26, they beat Marian 36-30, cementing their place in Hinsdale South’s history.

Before the team embarked on their historic journey to state, the Hinsdale South marching band led the team through the halls of the school in a send-off parade, with  hundreds of students watching and showing their support for the girls.  

And then the Lady Hornets were off to state! Early morning on Friday May 1st the athletes arrived at school ready to board their bus to the competition hosted at Illinois State University’s CEFCU Arena. They played a harrowing match against the players of Montini High School, narrowly missing the win with a score of 45-42. However, our players still accomplished some amazing things and rightfully so were very proud of themselves.

“This is like a dream,” South sophomore Maeve Savage said. “I never would have thought about state. I always thought it was more of a dream than a reality.”

South had two players who scored in double figures during the match. Our freshman point guard Brynn Dedrick scored a whopping 11 points! Our star senior, Amerie “Mimi”  Flowers, had an amazing match as well scoring 10 points and 7 rebounds!

If you see any of the team be sure to congratulate them on their amazing season!