Student News Site of Hinsdale South High School

Stinger

Stinger

Stinger

Kung Fu Panda 4
Kung Fu Panda 4
Miley Zhang, Staff Writer • April 18, 2024
The Hype About Water Bottles
The Hype About Water Bottles
Alyssa Pendon, Ally Tagudar • April 18, 2024
The bright orange design of a pickleball racket pops out on a court, supported by a traditional tennis racket.
A Real Pickle of a Debate
Jeremy Fung, Staff Writer • April 8, 2024

Three for the History Books

Sophia Schiappa
Three Hinsdale South players hit 1000 career points during this year’s basketball season: Amerie Flowers, Amelia Lavorato, and Jack Weigus. (Visual created by Annika Nicol.)

Four months is not a long time period to accomplish goals and become a part of history. Three Hinsdale South Hornets did just this in the 2023-2024 season by reaching 1000 points in their basketball careers. 

The first player of the 2023-2024 basketball season to reach 1000 career points was senior forward Amerie Flowers. In the short stretch of the winter season, Flowers hit this milestone on January 20th during the game against Willowbrook. 

I was filled with happiness but honestly didn’t care because we had a conference game and it wasn’t about me. It was about the team and getting [the] win that would definitely secure our spot for the conference championship,” said Flowers,  “Yes my family and team celebrated after but I was way more excited about getting the win that night.”

After her final season as a Hornet, Flowers plans to play at the next level in college. This has been a long time dream that is soon to become a reality as she leaves South, but not without leaving a legacy and her mark in history.

“I decided I wanted to play collegiately 6 years ago. If I kept improving my game and getting stronger, I knew I would be a force to be reckoned with,” said Flowers.

A few weeks after Flowers, senior guard Amelia Lavorato joined alongside her in South history as the fourth Girls’ Basketball player to reach 1000 career points. Lavorato scored a lay up in the game against Bogan on February 12th to join Flowers, Sydney Kopp (1628), and Toni Romiti (1206) in the 1000 point club. 

Lavorato will also be continuing her basketball career at the college level next year as a Duhawk at Loras College. 

On the boys side, junior guard Jack Weigus capped off his season by hitting 1000 in the regional semi final win against the Roadrunners of Nazareth on February 21st.

On top of three Hornet basketball players making history this season, the Girls’ Basketball team is making a run for state after plowing through the regional and sectional. The team won against a tough Marian Catholic in the super regional to go to the state tournament at Illinois State University. 

Flowers and Lavorato both ended their senior seasons with not only the accomplishment of reaching 1000 points, but also medals around their necks after taking fourth place in state. 

Three Hornets made their mark on Hinsdale South in one season; tune in next season to find out who the next player to make history.