Student News Site of Hinsdale South High School

Stinger

Stinger

Stinger

Kung Fu Panda 4
Kung Fu Panda 4
Miley Zhang, Staff Writer • April 18, 2024
The Hype About Water Bottles
The Hype About Water Bottles
Alyssa Pendon, Ally Tagudar • April 18, 2024
The bright orange design of a pickleball racket pops out on a court, supported by a traditional tennis racket.
A Real Pickle of a Debate
Jeremy Fung, Staff Writer • April 8, 2024

More or Less: The Secret to Success

Noelle Waterman
An art piece of a Hinsdale South student juggling extracurriculars.

You always hear stories from parents claiming that they were the MVP of their baseball team, or that they were part of the chess club, bowling club, speech team, and student council in the same year in high school. People always say that more is better, but is it the best way to achieve success?

With Hinsdale South having more than 70 clubs and 31 competitive sports available, it can be difficult to choose how to spend your time in high school. Some people might try 15 clubs, including a sport, while others might not commit to any extracurricular activities. The only trick to choosing, I’ve discovered, is your passion in life. 

Most people in high school worry about college applications, and instead of doing something they enjoy, they scramble to fill up blank spaces with meaningless extracurriculars. In reality, most colleges would rather see you excel in one or two aspects, than try to manage ten clubs at once. Counselor James Dickerson states that “colleges [aren’t] looking for a huge resume. They’re looking for students doing certain things that show their passion.”

Every student has their own story. From the amount of clubs they take to what sports they do, everyone experiences high school differently. Many seniors, like DJ Dorchack, missed opportunities for clubs and sports during their freshman year due to the pandemic. Dorchack, in his sophomore year, joined the Cross Country team and the Key Club. He believes that “everyone should try whatever clubs interest them, but shouldn’t feel confined to keep going to them if they don’t feel as if it is the right fit.” After all, with all the clubs available here at Hinsdale South, there has to be at least one club that interests you. 

Senior Sophia Yen, on the other hand, had almost the opposite experience at the beginning of high school. She joined Drama Club, Speech Team, Spanish Club, Yarning for a Cause, Key Club, Ethnic Club, and Peer Leadership Network, all in the same year. The next year, when it came to choosing between clubs, she had only expanded upon two clubs, rather than try coping with all of them on a higher level. She believes that “people should participate in as many clubs as possible, and then commit to several after they are able to narrow down their interests.” However, she warns that for some people, too many clubs may be distracting, or disorganization may cause anxiety. 

People in high school eventually stick to two to three clubs in their later years. Everybody has a different viewpoint on the matter, and it all comes down to your personality. You don’t have to try every club to be a star student, nor do you have to do the same club every year. The main thing to consider when choosing clubs is balance, like the harmony between Yin and Yang, and willpower.