Student News Site of Hinsdale South High School

Stinger

Stinger

Stinger

Kung Fu Panda 4
Kung Fu Panda 4
Miley Zhang, Staff Writer • April 18, 2024
The Hype About Water Bottles
The Hype About Water Bottles
Alyssa Pendon, Ally Tagudar • April 18, 2024
The bright orange design of a pickleball racket pops out on a court, supported by a traditional tennis racket.
A Real Pickle of a Debate
Jeremy Fung, Staff Writer • April 8, 2024

The Success of the 5 Star App

Does the app live up to it’s name?
Jake Zakar
A student and his dismay regarding the 5 Star App.

There have been various different thoughts and opinions regarding the school’s implementation of the 5-Star Student app. Most students have beliefs varying from support to hatred towards the app. 

An idea that many support is the efficiency of the app. Sophomore Brent Tolentino remarked, “The app is much better than the handbooks we used last year,” referencing the books that would have to be marked by teachers in order to leave the classroom. 

Another comment made in support of this app is about the overall feeling of safety brought to the students. Sophomore Niko Therapos commented on the “safe feeling” brought by the app, as the app tracks students when and where they go, creating a more organized and safe environment for students. 

Although there are a large number of students who are in support of the app, some students feel otherwise.

Some believe that the app does not give students enough time to use the restroom. Junior Ben Bartninkas expressed the fact that “the app only gives around 6 minutes to use the bathroom.” He later stated that he feels like “the time it takes for me [him] to use the bathroom is being tracked.” This is intriguing since, in a way, the app makes him feel unsafe; the complete opposite of what the app is attempting to do. 

Another detail to consider is the fact that the app is rated 1.3 stars on the iPhone App Store. Will this app have a future?