Student News Site of Hinsdale South High School

Stinger

Stinger

Stinger

Art by Salam Bouso, Arts Editor
Expectations for the Met Gala
Natalia Vujovic, Staff Writer • May 2, 2024
Kung Fu Panda 4
Kung Fu Panda 4
Miley Zhang, Staff Writer • April 18, 2024
The Hype About Water Bottles
The Hype About Water Bottles
Alyssa Pendon, Ally Tagudar • April 18, 2024

MainStage Theatre: Hinsdale South Drama Expands

Jayden Sams
Photos of MainStage’s production of Heathers the Musical, featuring junior Luiza Oliveira and senior Wesley Davis.

For years, the Hinsdale South Drama Department, led by director, sponsor, and English teacher Danny Yuska, has been a vivid and prideful aspect of our school. Last spring, Mr. Yuska expanded his involvement with youth theater with the opening of MainStage Theatre, “dedicated to providing young performers with the opportunity to develop their skills in acting, singing and dancing…”, with Chicago: Teen Edition. This past weekend, Mr. Yuska and various students from South drama participated in MainStage’s production of Heathers the Musical. 

Both in and outside of the building, students who work with Mr. Yuska and his productions have felt their lives shaped by Hinsdale South Drama. This includes junior, lightboard operator, and student director Jayden Sams, who believes that the program has encouraged him to “get out of [his] comfort zone and explore new hobbies and experiences that [he] never would’ve discovered elsewhere.” 

Sams defines theater as a tangible and recognizable part of his identity, as do many other students involved in the program. They adore the rush of productions, the social aspects of participating in a performance, and the ability to put together a good show. Despite the struggles of balancing school work and mental health, South students chose to participate in Heathers for these very reasons. 

For Sams, the best part of the rehearsal process was the dress rehearsals, citing the memories and friends that he is “never going to forget”. Even though it was stressful, he emphasized the energy and joy of the experience. 

Many students at South can be heard discussing the lows of the infamous “Hell Week” that arises every year when the musical rolls around, those kids shine on and off the stage. And MainStage gives them yet another outlet to do that.