Student News Site of Hinsdale South High School

Stinger

Stinger

Stinger

Kung Fu Panda 4
Kung Fu Panda 4
Miley Zhang, Staff Writer • April 18, 2024
The Hype About Water Bottles
The Hype About Water Bottles
Alyssa Pendon, Ally Tagudar • April 18, 2024
The bright orange design of a pickleball racket pops out on a court, supported by a traditional tennis racket.
A Real Pickle of a Debate
Jeremy Fung, Staff Writer • April 8, 2024

Season Sneak Peek: Lady Hornet Hoops

Sophia Schiappa
Seniors Amelia Lavorato (left) and Amerie Flowers (right) pose in the Hinsdale South gymnasium before their first game against Oswego East.

The pounding of basketballs and screech of shoes against the hardwood ring out through the gym as the Hinsdale South Girls’ Basketball program gears up for their season. 

Prior to the season, many players put in hours of off-season work to prepare for tryouts and their first practice. 

“For the first 3 months before our season started, I was scrimmaging and working out with Hinsdale South’s boys’ team,” said senior Amerie Flowers. “[This] not only helped me get physically stronger, but mentally prepared me too.”

Tryouts rolled around and this year’s Varsity and Junior Varsity Hornet Basketball teams were fielded. Although the program went from three teams to two, they still have a strong varsity squad with 2 returning seniors that have been rostered on varsity for 4 years.

Team practices began immediately following tryouts in preparation for the first game. The team does specific drills every day to improve their game in different areas.

“For example after doing regular stretches we end warm ups with defense drills that involve chopping our feet, moving our hands, and being vocal,” said Flowers.

The hard work of the players was showcased in their first game of the season against Oswego East which they won in a 55-42 victory. The Hornets also won handily in their first game of the annual Brenda Whitesell Tournament against the Mustangs out of Metea Valley 54-35. 

Now midway through their first tournament, South still has a long season ahead of them. 

“What I’m looking forward to this season is feeling and knowing that this is Hinsdale South Girls Basketball’s year. It’s our time,” Flowers remarked. 

With the preparation many players have done before the season and during team practices, there is hope that the Hornets will repeat their success from 2022-2023 and have another winning season.