Student News Site of Hinsdale South High School

Stinger

Stinger

Stinger

Art by Salam Bouso, Arts Editor
Expectations for the Met Gala
Natalia Vujovic, Staff Writer • May 2, 2024
Kung Fu Panda 4
Kung Fu Panda 4
Miley Zhang, Staff Writer • April 18, 2024
The Hype About Water Bottles
The Hype About Water Bottles
Alyssa Pendon, Ally Tagudar • April 18, 2024

Souths Play For the Cannon

Sophia Schiappa
Alec Miller against Riverside-Brookfield.

Cross-town rivalries run deep. There’s no doubt about it. Yet every West Suburban Conference rivalry falls short to Hinsdale South’s historic rivalry against Downers Grove South, a game that exemplifies the meaning of competition like no other, as each year the Souths go neck-in-neck in an explosive game for the star of the show: the Rebel Cannon.

Constructed in 1966 by two Hinsdale South Industrial Tech teachers, Armand LeCrone and Dick Buban, the Rebel Cannon served as the trophy for the first ever HSHS vs. DGS football game, marking the occasion. It was then decided that the winning school of the annual HSHS vs. DGS football game would keep the trophy until the following year, where then the opposing team would attempt to pull off a swift redemption.

The Rebel Cannon game is a pinnacle experience for every player on the team, being the key game for the season, where not only is the team’s record at stake, but the Cannon itself.

“It’s an important game for all the players, coaches, and staff,” said senior Sam Morgan, defensive end. “The cannon means everything to the football team.”

The Rebel Cannon is also the last physical trophy Hinsdale South has the ability to play for. 

“We don’t get a chance for the cup against Central anymore,” Morgan remarked. ”So the cannon is our last little game for something as a reminder of a rival competition.”

Alec Miller, captain and tight end, shares a similar point of view. Besides the importance of the Cannon in the context of rivalry, Friday night’s game against DGS holds another weight: a shot at playoffs. 

“The game means everything to me,” stated Miller. “There’s pressure because this game is the defining factor to where our season goes from here. If we win this game, we’ll probably go 5-4 and make playoffs. But if we lose…we won’t.”

The rival Souths take the field with a home court advantage for Hinsdale Friday night, with the Rebel Cannon at stake.