Student News Site of Hinsdale South High School

Stinger

Stinger

Stinger

Kung Fu Panda 4
Kung Fu Panda 4
Miley Zhang, Staff Writer • April 18, 2024
The Hype About Water Bottles
The Hype About Water Bottles
Alyssa Pendon, Ally Tagudar • April 18, 2024
The bright orange design of a pickleball racket pops out on a court, supported by a traditional tennis racket.
A Real Pickle of a Debate
Jeremy Fung, Staff Writer • April 8, 2024

Reconstruction on the South Side

Flickr

After losing the last two series against the Mariners and Rockies, and splitting the crosstown series against the rivaled Cubs, the White Sox fired their general manager and executive vice president. 

The Sox have started to rebuild their baseball team following a stretch of losing that began in the 2022 season. 

The year prior, the White Sox finished first in the American League Central with a 93-69 record. Star players like José Abreu made the offensive lineup dynamic and, most importantly, consistent.

During 2022, the success that was experienced the season before took a turn as changes were made to the roster. Abreu joined the Astros in Houston while new prospects that had high expectations were added.The lineup fluctuated as right handed pitcher Lucas Giolito did not dominate on the mound the same way he had previously, and the offense seemed to fall flat. The Sox record took a dip to an even 81-81 which allowed them to finish second in the AL Central.

Nearing the end of the 2023 season, the Sox currently stand as fourth in their league with a .394 winning percentage. It is almost certain that Chicago will not be in the post-season playoffs this year despite the addition of outfielder Andrew Benintendi who has produced numerous runs for the team this season.

“While we have enjoyed successes as an organization and were optimistic heading into the competitive window of this rebuild, this year has proven to be very disappointing for us all on many levels,” said owner Jerry Reinsdorf. 

Included in the “rebuild” was trading Giolito and sudden offensive standout Jake Burger in return for prospects from other clubs. Reinsdorf went even a step further and fired the general manager Rick Hahn and executive vice president Ken Williams. 

“[The 2023 season] has led me to the conclusion that the best decision for the organization moving forward is to make a change in our baseball department leadership,” Reinsdorf continued.

Now out of the playoffs race on the search for a new GM, the Chicago White Sox are rebuilding after a losing season.