Making a Comeback: Hinsdale South Athletics

The student section cheers from the stands, decked out in black and gold.

Emerging from the pandemic, Hinsdale South High School has made numerous changes in regards to the coronavirus protocol in athletics.

As of the beginning of the year, the student body has been allowed to attend football games, cheering on the Hornets. In conjunction with research from the Centers of Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), open ventilation is the safest environment to host events, making football games at the open-air stadium mostly safe. 

Students at the games pack the stands, sporting their spirit wear. The athletes on the field, either performing or playing, have seen a difference in the atmosphere of the games as compared to last year. Especially in the danceline and cheerleading programs, the performers now have an audience. “Hearing the crowd’s cheers and love for our school’s dance team just makes the sport so much more enjoyable,” said senior danceline member, Carly Booth. With the return of the crowds, the 2021 sports seasons have progressed towards normal.

The Team USA theme of the rowdy student section colors the crowd in red, white, and blue.

Along with the athletes, coaches of teams this year have noticed changes in the atmospheres of their teams. “As a coach it is exciting to have people there to cheer for your team and as a player it is so much more exciting playing in front of fans,” stated Coach Wolkow, varsity football coach. Both players and coaches are ready to return to normal competition, without masks or social distancing. 

The Hornets shake hands with the Hinsdale Central Red Devils after Friday night’s game.

2021 has altered the way numerous students have viewed simple things, such as football games and athletics in general. Before, none of these events were able to happen. The present is now full of opportunities for players, coaches, and spectators to make a comeback.