Student News Site of Hinsdale South High School

Stinger

Stinger

Stinger

Protests at Universities
Protests at Universities
Elias Varesis, Staff Writer • May 27, 2024
Students pose for a photo after the 2024 NHS Induction Ceremony.
The Dishonor of NHS
Jeremy Fung, Staff Writer • May 24, 2024
Clockwise from top left: Flags of USA, Pakistan, Taiwan, and Russia
What in the-Elections?
Elias Varesis, Sophia Chen, Issac Choi, and Rohan Joshi May 20, 2024

What in the-Elections?

Elias Varesis

Intro-Elias Varesis

2024, a year full of opportunity and elections. With 65 elections occurring in 64 countries, the international political scene will be defined for years to come. Here are some of the most important elections this year:.

Russia-Elias Varesis

With the Russian presidential election, the reign of Vlaidmir Putin comes into question., A win for Putin   extends his presidency until 2030. This  year’s election differed from the past as people actively went against Putin by setting fire to election booths on voting dayThese efforts proved to be ineffective in removing Putin from office, with Putin receiving 87% of votes.The aforementioned results are doubted by many critics, calling it a “rigged election.” This new term for Putin will also allow him to continue his war on Ukraine that continues to be unpopular worldwide.

Pakistan-Rohan Joshi

Pakistan’s 2024 Election-A Snapshot: On February 8, 2024 Pakistan’s general election marked a potential turning point for the country’s political stability and economic future. Delayed from 2023 due to political unrest, the election was integral for several reasons including a major political shift The ousting of former Prime Minister Imran Khan and his subsequent barring from politics led to a reshuffling of political power. This political shift comes in light of the results:  Independents, many backed by Khan’s PTI, won 103 seats, with PML-N and PPP (different political parties in Pakistan) following with 75 and 54 seats, respectively. In the context of global implications,  the election’s outcome affects Pakistan’s foreign relations, economic reforms, and the integrity of its democratic processes. The world watches as hopefully, Pakistan moves towards an economically stable and politically truthful future post-election.

United States-Issac Choi

Depending on the outcome of the election, there will be various results that can reconstruct our country through courts and legislatures. Presidents can sway the stance that the citizens of the United States will take in certain situations. Presidents can rally and empower their people. Presidents espouse the role of a leader on the world stage. That’s why the presidential election is so crucial to our country.

This year, the presidential elections will be held on November 5th. Many Americans believe that American Democracy may end depending on who wins the election this year. There have been many historical challenges that threw American Democracy off course such as voting restrictions, election fraud, and the diminishing trust in our government, which only aided in the acceleration of the deterioration of American Democracy. That is why this year’s presidential election is crucial and holds the potential to change the fate of America.

Taiwan- Sophia Chen

Taiwan’s 2024 presidential election outcome holds significant implications for its future, especially concerning its relations with China and the US. The Democratic People’s Party (DPP) candidate, Lai Ching-te, won by a large margin. The DPP advocates for Taiwan’s independence, which has strained relations with Beijing. The Kuomintang (KMT) candidate, Hou Yu-ih, came in second. The KMT, historically ruling Taiwan and favoring closer ties with China, recognizes the One China policy without specifying which China is legitimate. The DPP and KMT differ on the 1992 consensus regarding Taiwan-China relations. The Taiwan People’s Party (TPP) candidate, Ko Wen-je, positioned himself as a moderate, focusing on domestic issues. Lai’s victory signals an uncertain future, with potential tensions with China despite his pledge to maintain the status quo on independence.