Student News Site of Hinsdale South High School

Stinger

Stinger

Stinger

Kaitlyn Wongs collection of keychains
Student Collectors and their Miniature Museums
Noelle Waterman, Opinions Editor • February 29, 2024
An art piece of a Hinsdale South student juggling extracurriculars.
More or Less: The Secret to Success
Jake WatermanFebruary 26, 2024
Image created with Canva.
Boys' Gymnastics Makes Dismount From IHSA
Annika Nicol, Sports Editor • February 25, 2024

Artist Showcase : Jovana Milososka

Jovana+Milososka+stands+beside+her+art+pieces.+
Salam Bouso
Jovana Milososka stands beside her art pieces.

With the school year in full swing, art students at South are well into their creative projects. Students enrolled in AP Art typically focus on a specific topic, referred to as a sustained investigation. Senior, Jovana Milososka, plans on spending her year exploring a theme surrounding the issue of environmental change. “I want to show how large corporations exploit the environment for [their own benefit],” Milososka stated, “As well as the steps we need to take towards a [more sustainable lifestyle].” 

Milososka’s work in progress, Eminent Domain, done in colored pencil.

Milososka plans on having every art piece portray a varying message. While she aims to focus on experimenting with different mediums to express her theme, on other occasions, she prefers to work with more familiar mediums in order to put a deeper emphasis on the message behind the art. “There is more than meets the eye,” Milososka claims. For example, her current work in progress features an orangutan holding a stack of cash. While it may at first appear to be a funny addition to her piece, the orangutan symbolizes the unethical profits made from the destruction of natural habitats.

The Bear, by Jovana Milososka

Milososka enjoys experimenting with a variety of different mediums. She typically decides upon a medium based on her subject matter. “If I’m drawing a portrait, I would rather use a wet media,” explained Milososka, “On the other hand, if I’m working on something with lots of texture, I prefer using colored pencils.” 

Art has been Milososka primary method of expression. “I learned how to draw before I could even write,” Milososka recalls the way art has always played a role in her self-expression, “Every idea and value I developed, I put on a piece of paper.” Looking towards the future, Milososka plans to minor in art. Although it won’t be her main focus career-wise, she is sure that art will always be a large part of her life and a passion she can rely on using to express herself.