Student News Site of Hinsdale South High School

Stinger

Stinger

Stinger

Kung Fu Panda 4
Kung Fu Panda 4
Miley Zhang, Staff Writer • April 18, 2024
The Hype About Water Bottles
The Hype About Water Bottles
Alyssa Pendon, Ally Tagudar • April 18, 2024
The bright orange design of a pickleball racket pops out on a court, supported by a traditional tennis racket.
A Real Pickle of a Debate
Jeremy Fung, Staff Writer • April 8, 2024

Cricket World Cup

Simran Goel
India vs Bangladesh match on October 19th, 2023.

In the heart of the cricketing world, excitement is reaching its peak as the Cricket World Cup semi-finals draw near.! This global sporting extravaganza kicked off with a bang last month, uniting the finest cricketing nations in a fierce battle for the coveted title. Played every four years, this tournament showcases the pinnacle of cricket talent around the globe.

In the game of cricket, two teams take turns to bat and bowl. The batting team aims to score runs by skillfully striking the ball and running between the wickets, while the fielding team strives to dismiss the batsmen through various means.

India and South Africa have already secured spots in the semifinals, with undefeated India leads, closely followed by South Africa with 12 points from 6 wins and 2 losses. Now all eyes are on the remaining contenders who are determined to obtain the last two spots.

Junior Pranav Goel shares his thoughts confidently saying, “I think Australia and New Zealand have the best chance of making it to the semis.” 

Australia, currently holding third place with 10 points, stands a solid chance of advancing to the semifinals. Securing a victory in one or both of their upcoming matches against Afghanistan and Bangladesh could secure their spot. However, if they face any setbacks, they’ll need to rely on the teams below them to not surpass their 10-point mark.

Meanwhile, New Zealand, with 8 eight points, faces a more difficult situation. To advance, they must either win against Sri Lanka or hope that Pakistan does not win their match. If Pakistan also accumulates 8 eight points and ends up winning their match, they would climb above New Zealand in the standings.   

Afghanistan, though holding 8 points, faces an uphill battle. Their chances of procuring a spot in the semis hinge on winning both of their remaining matches against Pakistan and Sri Lanka. While their journey is challenging, it’s not entirely out of reach.

Currently, New Zealand and South Africa are the front runners to join India and South Africa in the ICC semi-finals. However, don’t count out Pakistan and Afghanistan as they stand ready to seize the opportunity if the other teams don’t play to their full potential. Stay tuned for more thrilling cricket action!