Over the Finish Line

Annika Nicol, Sports Editor

The IHSA 3A Girls’ Cross Country State Meet occurred in November, with the best high school runners in Illinois competing. Senior Abby Petersen sported a Hinsdale South uniform during the meet, and represented the Hornets at the state race.

Starting back in middle school, Petersen has run cross country for seven years. She qualified for state for the first time her 7th grade year, and ended her career in 2022 with her last race in Peoria.

Beginning by running at Eisenhower, Petersen found her love for running and competing in cross country.

“[Running’s] always made me feel really calm, and it helps me on stressful days,” said Petersen.

Petersen has been one of South’s top runners, qualifying for state all four years of her high school career. Fittingly, her last meet before leaving for college was a state race, capping off an outstanding career. 

Along her journey were people that helped her learn to love running, and supported her throughout her time at South. 

“A huge shoutout to my coaches, especially [Kim] Johnson. She’s just been such a role model,” remarked Petersen.

Now heading into college in the fall of 2023, Petersen will not be running competitively at the next level. Instead, she hopes to keep running in her life to stay active and be an activity of enjoyment. 

But before then, Petersen will run for Hinsdale South on the indoor track team during the winter season.