The Cast of Carrie: Teamwork, Dedication, Showmanship

Art work by Zola Hinojosa and Gavin Torok

Claire Weigus, Editor-in-Chief

On November 11, 2022, the curtain will draw open, whispers will cease, and the dazzling stage lights will illuminate faces belonging to the cast of Hinsdale South’s rendition of Carrie

This musical is a theatrical interpretation of Stephen King’s vengeful 1974 novel, which follows an awkward and shy teenage girl, Carrie. At home, she faces the struggle of an unhinged mother, controlling her through her religious beliefs. At school, she is bullied for her differences. The twist is that Carrie has telekinetic powers, which she uses in destructive retaliation when she finally reaches her breaking point.

South’s production of Carrie will be directed by Danny Yuska; this will be his tenth year directing one of Hinsdale South’s annual musicals.

Accompanying him —with dedication and professionalism— is the talented cast. These members must manage busy schedules, which includes having to attend rehearsal six days a week. 

Since each year’s musical entails a different cast, full of new personalities and strengths, the Carrie musical experience, full of not only rehearsing and performing, but conversations, pictures, and inside jokes, is one the student cast can only encounter once in their lifetime. One of those crucial members of this year’s production is the Treasurer of Drama Club, Sophia Yen; she has been cast as Sue Snell.

Yen started acting at the age of ten; however, it was not until seventh grade, the year she broke her arm playing basketball, that she came to realize theatre had and will always be her true calling.  She took that painful situation as a sign to quit sports and pursue acting. 

From September to November, Yen’s time is consumed with running lines, learning choreography, and routinely testing the acoustics in her home’s bathroom. 

Sophia stays after school each day for rehearsal; It will typically start mini-meeting to set up a game plan for what their practice time will entail. Then the cast gets into blocking scenes, vocal rehearsals, and picking up group choreography.

The time commitment can be a struggle when trying to maintain grades, but the actors’ perseverance and the discipline acquired throughout the musical process can be translated into the classroom. 

When Sophia gets home at 6:30, she immediately starts on homework.

“I have four AP’s under my belt,” said Yen, “I go home, start my homework and eat dinner at the same time. When I work out, I do it while reading my homework, but it’s worth the struggle.”

The night of the show is always an exemplary representation of the cast’s zeal to work hard through every tough rehearsal, ensuring only their best work will be presented for the community. 

“I embrace the process but at the same time, once the show is in full swing, I can look back at all we’ve done and where we are at now. It is so gratifying,” Yen said.

Another hard-working, talented actress is senior Destiny Prater; she has been cast as Miss Gardner. This year, she holds the position of Vice President of Drama Club. 

“My favorite memory so far has been the whole experience, the process of being in the musical,” Prater said. “Being with all my friends while doing something we love to do, it’s very memorable.” 

College awaits her next fall, and Prater has nothing but a bright future ahead of her. She will continue to pursue her dreams of acting after her successful high school career, in which she developed skills throughout the participation in numerous productions: Fiddler on the Roof, Rent, and —now— Carrie.

“I want to be on the movie screen,” said Prater, “I want to make an impact in the world and make everyone laugh. I do it without knowing it sometimes, so I feel like it’s my calling in life.”

Being a more experienced cast member, this year, Prater holds a role at rehearsals that involves being a leader and role model for the cast.

Though the experience can be taxing during the musical’s most intensive phases, the strong bonds between cast mates will last and the memories produced during the process will linger beyond the final curtain close.