Work Hard, Relax Harder

Leah Tharian, Editor-in-Chief

The fast-paced life of today’s students and workers leaves little room to rest. The emphasis on productivity has people accustomed to early mornings and late nights.

People are expected to be a part of “hustle culture,” a mentality that emphasizes one’s career or academic success to be the biggest priority, compromising other facets of life such as hobbies, social engagements, and simply time for oneself. Such a mindset eventually leads workers to a state of stress. The resultant deterioration of physical and mental health is accompanied by side effects such as anxiety, depression, and heart disease. 

Hustle culture is, in fact, self-defeating, as it hinders its very purpose—productivity. According to research conducted by City University of New York, increased stress leads to a decrease in professional productivity and often to burnout. Studies have shown that in order to achieve a greater level of productivity and ensure better health for employees, work environments should foster goals that relate to consciousness and personal satisfaction rather than conditioning workers to chase productivity goals by any means necessary.

Overexertion is encouraged by social media. As influencers release videos of “What I Do in a Day,” viewers feel compelled to live-up to these delusory standards. This, in turn, sets unrealistic expectations regarding productivity and work. Furthermore, this encourages people to neglect their mental health, self care, and personal lives as a means to fulfill an unreasonable agenda.

In a world that encourages us to rush to keep-up with the fast pace of daily life, a moment’s pause can be a great help.