Halloween-Fever! Literally?

Halloween-Fever%21+Literally%3F

Joyce Ebikhumi, Editor in Chief

Despite our hopes that COVID-19 would eventually fade away, the number of cases continues to rise (just in time for Halloween). With Dupage County moving into a substantial transmission level, in-person trick or treating is discouraged. Nonetheless, this will not deter high schoolers who plan to host small get-togethers; and while these small parties are not inherently dangerous, students often let their guards down among friends.

“In […] cases [of small gatherings], people are taking their masks off to eat or they’re not wearing masks at all,” Allison Weinmann, an infectious diseases specialist at the Henry Ford Health System, said. “There’s a trust there—you think someone you love wouldn’t make you sick. People think they’re in a safe place. It may not be intentional, but this creates risk.”

Students are tired; remote learning doesn’t replicate the classroom environment, and everyone wants to see their friends. However, we must not forget that COVID-19 is still a serious threat. Students hosting a small Halloween party need to plan ahead to ensure the safety of friends, family, and themselves. 

Luckily, there are more than enough guides on COVID-19 party planning out there on the internet. The Center for Disease Control (CDC) released a full guideline about Holiday Celebration. Also, the Halloween and Costume Association created a variety of activities based on a county’s current COVID-19 risk level.

Moreover, on the night of the 31st, students can host a blue moon (not actually blue, but are rare)  viewing party as it is the second full moon of October and will be viewable to most people around the world. 

So far 2020 has been an unlucky year for most, with a total of 13 full moons occurring by New Years. Nevertheless, borrowing the words of Batman villain, Harvey Dent: we can make our own luck. We can each do our part in discouraging the spread of COVID-19 by celebrating 2020 Halloween safely.